The following bills passed the Senate last night and will be transmitted to the President for his signature:
- H.R. 2992 (Pascrell, D-NJ), the “TBI and PTSD Law Enforcement Training Act,” which would require the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) to establish crisis intervention training tools for first responders to address individuals with traumatic brain injuries, acquired brain injuries, and post-traumatic stress disorder; and
- H.R. 6943 (Trone, D-MD), the “Public Safety Officer Support Act,” which would amend the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 to authorize public safety officer death benefits to officers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, acute stress disorder, and other related disorders who commit or attempt to commit suicide.
The following bills were passed by the Senate last night and will be sent to the House for further action:
- S. 2151 (Peters, D-MI), the “Strong Communities Act,” which would help build on the community-policing model by establishing a grant program for local law enforcement agencies to assist in recruiting officers in their own community;
- S. 3860 (Cortez Masto, D-NV), the “Invest to Protect Act,” which would establish a grant program, administered by the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Office within the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), that would be used for the training of officers from police departments and municipalities that employ less than 200 law enforcement officers;
- S. 4003 (Cornyn, R-TX), the “Law Enforcement De-escalation Training Act,” which would provide $70 million in annual grant funding from the Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne-JAG) to State and local law enforcement agencies to train officers in de-escalation tactics and alternatives to the use of force; and
- S. 4007 (Grassley, R-IA), the “Fighting Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Act,” which directs the U.S. Department of Justice to develop a state-of-the-art treatment program for public safety officers experiencing acute stress disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).