Axon and the Future of Law Enforcement: A CEO’s Vision with Rick Smith
In an era where technology and public safety intersect, we find ourselves at a crossroads of unprecedented challenges and transformative opportunities. Axon is one of those companies that stands as a beacon of innovation and progress. With a comprehensive suite of public safety solutions, Axon is at the forefront of bridging the gap between law enforcement and the communities they serve.
On this episode of the Blue View, National FOP President Patrick Yoes engages in a thought-provoking conversation with Rick Smith, the CEO of Axon, to explore the captivating intersection of technology and public safety. Smith’s journey is truly inspiring, driven by personal experiences and a vision for a safer world. With over two decades of experience, Axon has become a leader in innovative solutions that are reshaping how we approach public safety.
This dialogue takes us back to the roots of Axon, unveiling Smith’s motivations for founding TASER International and Axon. Yoes and Smith explore the evolution of Axon’s mission since its inception in 1993 and delve into the pivotal technologies and innovations developed by Axon to elevate public safety. Axon has set an ambitious goal to reduce gun-related deaths involving both law enforcement and the public by 50% in the next decade. They dissect the strategies and partnerships that Axon employs to realize this significant objective.
Yoes and Smith discuss how technology is helping bridge the gap between law enforcement and the communities they serve. Rick highlights the role of body-worn camera technology in Axon’s mission to improve public safety and how the company prioritizes transparency and accountability in its products and services.
– KEY TAKEAWAYS –
- Axon’s Role in Public Safety: Axon is a company at the forefront of bridging the gap between law enforcement and the communities they serve. They provide a comprehensive suite of public safety solutions and are dedicated to improving public safety through technology. Axon, originally known as TASER International, has evolved significantly since its inception in 1993. The company’s mission has expanded beyond tasers to encompass a wide range of technologies and innovations aimed at enhancing public safety.
- MOONSHOT – Axon’s Ambitious Goal to Reduce Gun-Related Deaths: Axon has set a challenging goal to reduce gun-related deaths involving both law enforcement and the public by 50% in the next decade. This goal is a part of their commitment to making a significant impact on public safety.
- Importance of Technology in Public Safety: Technology plays a vital role in improving the relationship between law enforcement and the communities they serve. The discussion highlights the significance of technology, especially body-worn camera technology, in this context. Axon prioritizes transparency and accountability in its products and services. This commitment ensures that law enforcement agencies and the public have access to accurate and reliable information to enhance trust and accountability. The podcast anticipates the increased use of drones and robots in law enforcement to improve officer safety and de-escalate high-risk situations. This represents a significant shift in how law enforcement responds to critical incidents.
– NOTABLE QUOTES –
“In reality, when a law enforcement officer has to use deadly force, lives change, and it’s not just the officer’s lives change as well. So, the ability to be able to de-escalate things that are on that force continuum, those less than lethal approaches are so important.”
– National FOP President Patrick Yoes highlights the significance of less-than-lethal approaches in law enforcement to de-escalate situations and prevent the irreversible consequences of using deadly force.
“We’re trying to find alternatives to shooting people. Now to do that, we’re going to have to make taser weapons that are more aggressive, we’re going to have to extend the range, we’re going to have to give you more shots. The reason to give an officer more shots is to give them more attempts to save a life.”
– Rick Smith, CEO of Axon, emphasizes the importance of providing law enforcement with better non-lethal alternatives to reduce the use of firearms.
“Axon has set an ambitious goal to reduce gun-related deaths involving police and the public by 50% in the next decade. They explore the strategies and partnerships that Axon is using to achieve this objective.”
– Rick Smith, CEO of Axon, highlights Axon’s ambitious goal to significantly reduce gun-related deaths involving both law enforcement and the public, with a focus on the strategies and partnerships used to attain this objective.
“As some 800,000 Law Enforcement Officers every day make a conscious decision to stand that line between order and chaos and do so recognizing that it could cost them their own lives or their own well-being… it truly is a servant heart.”
– Patrick Yoes, National FOP President, highlights the selfless dedication of law enforcement officers and the sacrifices they make to maintain order and safety in their communities.
Law enforcement officers have one of the toughest and most dangerous jobs in the United States. The brave men and women of law enforcement are charged with the enormous responsibility of keeping our streets and neighborhoods safe.
Be sure to tune in to Blue View, a weekly podcast presented by the National Fraternal Order of Police, to hear from law enforcement experts, elected officials, and other notable leaders to gain insight into the issues and current events surrounding the law enforcement community. Each episode will leave you with a better understanding of what law enforcement officers face daily. Together, we can rebuild the trust between police officers and the communities they serve.