Washington, DC - Brothers and sisters, as our nation becomes increasingly divided during this unprecedented time, law enforcement officers are the keepers of the peace and stand firm on the thin blue line, placing themselves between order and anarchy. For this reason, our officers are targets and may be subject to attack at any point—without warning and without reason. Therefore, I am urging all of our nation’s law enforcement officers to be vigilant.
- Exercise caution at all times.
- Be aware of your environment and surroundings.
- Maintain constant situational awareness.
- Be prepared.
- Take every reasonable precaution when engaging with the public.
- Watch your back—and that of your partner.
- Do not take unnecessary chances and call for backup when needed.
Keep yourself and your communities safe by being vigilant on duty and off. There are individuals who are motivated solely by a desire to hurt or kill a police officer, so do not let your guard down.
Be safe and may God protect us all.
The Fraternal Order of Police is the largest law enforcement labor organization in the United States, with more than 355,000 members.